Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

CFE pistol and 124gr Berry's Frustration

Hey all, I've been reloading rifle for about 6 years now, pretty much got it down. Just started reloading for my pistol (CZ P10C) this week. I am having a heck of a time figuring this out! I am getting consistent cycling, and no pressure signs, but it seems as though im still seriously under pressured as it looks like the cases are not sealing to the chamber. Here are the load's i've tried and the results( i do not have a chrono yet so going off recoil, pressure signs, and brass)

1st group - 5.0gr, 1.160OAL, very slight taper crimp(lee factory crimp) -- VERY soft shooting. Cycles, but its CLOSE to stove piping. Almost no recoil. Brass is EXTREMELY dirty, as you can, but only on 1 side of the brass.

2nd group - 5.3gr, 1.150OAL, .002crimp --- Noticeably hotter than group 1, but still very dirty on one side of the brass. Still no pressure signs, primers look fine, etc.

Pic with glove on is of 5.0/1.160, no glove is 5.3/1.150. I tried 5.0 at 1.130 and a heavier crimp, and it wouldn't cycle at all. SO what do you all think? I'm hesitant to go up to 5.5 as that's the max according to Hodgdon.

5.3gr_1.150.jpg5.0_1.160.jpg

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF007 View Post
    Hey all, I've been reloading rifle for about 6 years now, pretty much got it down. Just started reloading for my pistol (CZ P10C) this week. I am having a heck of a time figuring this out! I am getting consistent cycling, and no pressure signs, but it seems as though im still seriously under pressured as it looks like the cases are not sealing to the chamber. Here are the load's i've tried and the results( i do not have a chrono yet so going off recoil, pressure signs, and brass)

1st group - 5.0gr, 1.160OAL, very slight taper crimp(lee factory crimp) -- VERY soft shooting. Cycles, but its CLOSE to stove piping. Almost no recoil. Brass is EXTREMELY dirty, as you can, but only on 1 side of the brass.

2nd group - 5.3gr, 1.150OAL, .002crimp --- Noticeably hotter than group 1, but still very dirty on one side of the brass. Still no pressure signs, primers look fine, etc.

Pic with glove on is of 5.0/1.160, no glove is 5.3/1.150. I tried 5.0 at 1.130 and a heavier crimp, and it wouldn't cycle at all. SO what do you all think? I'm hesitant to go up to 5.5 as that's the max according to Hodgdon.

5.3gr_1.150.jpg5.0_1.160.jpg
    That's odd. I run 4.2gns of CFE Pistol in my Beretta 92fs with no issues. CCI small pistol primers, decent taper crimp and a OAL at 1.130.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    I have a P10c and the same thing happens to me with dirty brass. Had me confused but even as I worked loads up and they stayed that way. I settled on Cody’s load because it cycled just fine and was pretty light
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    I have a P10c and the same thing happens to me with dirty brass. Had me confused but even as I worked loads up and they stayed that way. I settled on Cody’s load because it cycled just fine and was pretty light
    Hmm. Wonder why this is. It's almost as if it's not a supported chamber but our guns are supposed to be supported.

Title
    Hmm. Wonder why this is. It's almost as if it's not a supported chamber but our guns are supposed to be supported.
    How do the rounds feel when you plunk test them? On my 92fs they plunk perfect with very little play in the chamber.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySPowell View Post
    How do the rounds feel when you plunk test them? On my 92fs they plunk perfect with very little play in the chamber.

They plunk test fine. Spin freely as they should.

Title
    They plunk test fine. Spin freely as they should.
    Have you plunk tested without crimping?

Title
    How many rounds have you shot in your pistol so far? I notice the dirty brass even with factory ammo so I feel like it’s not our reloads.
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    My brass looks just like that no mater what powered I use. I have a Winchester powder for my 40 and cfe pistol for my 9 and all come out "burnt" on one side. I think its just how pistol brass is. Even before I reloaded I would get that from factory rounds.

Title
    using cfe in a 40 sw CZ 6.0grns 6.6 seem to run it well ,no fail to eject, and not to dirty ,still win231 works as well